Saturday, March 29, 2008

Work begins..

All went well. The horses down here are really small. But the most fascinating thing was that their hooves are beautiful except for a few minor chips. The stable hands are doing a great job of filing here and there, but mostly it’s because these horses are ridden on hard rough ground. Yeah, I know. This is a tropical island and you’d think just the opposite. I showed them a few of the natural hoof care techniques and we trimmed up 4 horses. By then it was a little after noon and getting dreadfully hot for me. Marina to the rescue. I showered and she took me to this nice place to eat on the water called the Driftwood CafĂ©. Excellent food and very nice people. I was introduced to more local islanders. Now by “local” I mean folks that were either born and raised here or from somewhere else but are now residents of Utila, called Utilians. Later that evening I rode my bike out to Slumberland Villas where the rest of the gang was staying and had finally arrived. We made all the introductions and went over the schedule for the week. Everyone was tired, just as I was when I arrived on Thursday, so I left and went back to my little cottage in the jungle.